Monday, August 13, 2007

Plantains: Laura would be proud!

Laura, my Puerto Rican friend introduced me to the amazing taste of fried plantains six years ago. Since then, whenever I've visited her in DC, Florida, or soon Puerto Rico, she always made them for dinner. I've also had great plantains in restaurants in Alexandria, Houston, Old San Juan and Dallas.

Alas, when I tried to recreate this "recipe," I failed miserably. The plantains turned out burned on the outside but remained uncooked on the inside.

Finally, when I was visiting my parents in Seattle last month, I decided to give plantains another try. And do you know what the secret is?
You must buy VERY ripe plantains! The skin will look black and they will be soft to the touch. That's it: just start with super ripe plantains, heat oil in the pan and then gently drop slices (about quarter of an inch thick: I cut mine on a diagonal) in the oil. Cook for about a few minutes on each side, drain on a paper towel and enjoy!!!

Thanks Laura :)

No comments: