Thursday, March 6, 2008

Age is not an issue!

Last night at Zanzibar, Flip Brown celebrated his 78th birthday. This is the 3rd year in a row I have witnessed his bigger than life personality. There was a birthday dance when all the women lined up and danced with a birthday "boy," but I never participate. At the end of the night Flip asked me to dance: I honestly felt honored! He's the oldest dance partner I've ever had and I don't think I have half the energy at my age this man has at his!

Here's a little about him:
James “Flip” Brown, a Zanzibar regular celebrates his 78th birthday Wednesday at Zanzibar. Flip got his nickname when he became an acrobat at age 12. He became part of the Flying Nesbitt’s acrobatic team at age 15 and later became a member of the International Clowns Basketball Team. He toured with the Fabulous Magicians Basketball Team. He has appeared on several national television shows including the Josephine Baker Show, the Sammy Davis Jr. Show, the Ed Sullivan Show and many more during his career. He performed with the Goose Tatum Show and Marques Haynes Show. Both were stars with the Harlem Globetrotters As a dancer he worked with the Cracker Jack Dancers and the James Brothers during his career.

No comments: