Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Dinner: not my dad's borscht

My dad makes the best borscht. He takes his time to peel, cut, shred and mince the vegetables. He then sautes separately carrots with onions and garlic, and beets. He tastes and adjusts the seasonings, adding tomato sauce, sugar and lemon juice as necessary. It often takes most of the day, but the end result is worth it. Every time Anna and I go back to Seattle, there is a pot of borscht waiting for us in the refrigerator.

Tonight I made borscht using the beets I roasted earlier in the week. I did not have all the necessary additions such as tomato paste or fresh dill or the root of parsley, but it turned out well, and will only get better after sitting in the refrigerator over night.

I'm still looking forward to a bowl of my dad's borscht when I visit in February.

No comments: