Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lunch: beet greens

I'm home with a cold. I've had the cold since last week, but braved going to work (LMAO) and still did all the other things on my calendar. Perhaps it's finally catching up with me, and I stayed home today and might stay home tomorrow and Friday.

What does that mean to you? It means I can post yet another quick lunch.

Last week I bought beets: not in a can or a jar, but fresh beets with green leaves still attached to them. I roasted the beets, and they are currently getting acquainted with the other ingredients in a large pot and will eventually turn into borscht.

I saved the beet greens and used them today to make lunch using Robyn Webb's spinach recipe as an inspiration.

All you need to do is saute garlic and red pepper flakes in some olive oil. Add the greens. Let them cook until the done-ness you like (crunchy or soft, etc) and season with salt and pepper. When the greens are done, add golden raisins and toss in some toasted pine nuts. Enjoy!

** I realize the pictures look a bit flashed, but without a flash they looked sort of dead **

No comments: