Thursday, March 27, 2008

The random things that make me cry

Last night I went to see a free screening of The Year My Parents Went on Vacation. One of the lines in the movie struck a cord with me. It talked about a goalie on a soccer field, and how he is a solitary player who can't fail and is always expecting the worst. The line made me sad because I can absolutely relate to it.

This was a beautifully shot and acted movie that won many international awards. If you have a chance to see it, I would highly recommend it!

One of the big parts in the movie was the World Cup that took place in 1970 (soccer, obviously). All of a sudden, as I was sitting in the theater full of strangers, I realized that my dad was only 20 years old in 1970 and for some reason it made me incredibly sad and the tears began falling...and never stopped. At moments I thought I would not be able to breath. Once again, it's this bizarre combination of being in a public place and surrounded by strangers, that gives one a feeling of anonymity and allows emotions to completely flow. Still, you are not completely alone at moments like these.

I left the theater with mixed emotions: happy I saw the film, yet disturbed by the feelings it brought up in me. The only remedy for my "condition" was to go salsa dancing. Luckily GT was there: I can never not be in a great mood when dancing with him.

No comments: