Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy (Early) Father's Day

Kim O'Donnel from Washington Post requested food related stories for Father's Day. I submitted mine, and it was published in her blog :)

I'll also paste it here for easier access.

I grew up in Moscow, Russia. Both of my parents cooked. My mom made great cakes, delicious potato salad, etc, but my dad's specialty was and is borscht. Even my grandmother (my mom's mom) thinks my dad's borscht is the best. He cuts and sautes the vegetables individually in plenty of olive oil, taking care not to rush the process. The smell of the beets, onions, garlic and carrots travel throughout the entire house. And the color of the soup is magnificent. My dad makes borscht year around. Even though I have been living away from my parents for the last seven years, I know that whenever I fly back to Seattle (that's where my family has been living for the last 15 years), there will be a big pot of borscht in the refrigerator. I can't wait to have cold borsht with sour cream when I come to visit in July.

No comments: