Friday, June 13, 2008

Not Your Average Potato Salad

I love potatoes. I love mashed potatoes, fries, potato latkes, and I love potato salad. Usually, the only absolutely given ingredient in my potato salad is mayonnaise. Everything else comes and goes: eggs, onions, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, etc.

Alas, I was out of mayonnaise (shocker!), but still wanted to make a warm potato salad last night. And then I had an idea: why not use the garlic scape pesto I made a few days ago as a "salad dressing"?

Ingredients and Directions:
1) Peel and cube Yukon Gold potatoes. Cook the potatoes until tender in salted water, but be careful not to overcook
2) Combine cooked and drained (and still hot) potatoes with garlic scape pesto (the cheese in the pesto will start to melt a bit...what could be better?)
3) Add cubed cucumbers, chopped red onions, fresh dill, capers and chopped boiled egg to the salad
4) Season with salt and pepper, combine all the ingredients and eat the salad warm

No comments: