Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Lunch: Zucchini Latkes

Lunch? I know, you are used to descriptions of dinners, but yesterday I took a day off and made lunch (that was not the sole purpose of taking the day off, obviously).

I haven't gone grocery shopping in days and my fridge was showing it. I had a few yellow zucchinis and decided to make zucchini latkes (similar to the potato latkes one makes for Hanukkah).

Ingredients and Directions
  1. Grate (I used my beloved food processor) 3-4 small peeled zucchinis (I used yellow, but you can use green or a combination of both) and 1/4 red onion (or yellow or white).
  2. Squeeze extra liquid from the above mixture. Add one egg, two heaping spoon-fulls of flour, salt and pepper to taste (you can also add fresh herbs, dried rosemary, whatever else spice/herb you wish or have on hand).
  3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Form patties and let them fry/saute on both sides for about 2-3 minutes depending on thickness.
  4. The typical way my parents used to serve this dish was with sour-cream, but I also added salsa (you know how I'm all about salsa).

No comments: