Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dinner: Palak Paneer (Fresh Indian Cheese & Spinach)

My dinner rocked! Perhaps that means I rock (okay, this is inspired by a license plate I saw a few days ago that said GT ROCKS...that of course reminded me of GT).

Back to dinner...This coming Friday I was scheduled to work an Indian Vegetarian class at Sur La Table, but had to cancel because I'll be packing for my Seattle trip. Luckily, I was able to get the recipes and decided to make Palak Paneer.

To make the fresh cheese all you need is whole milk and vinegar! I wonder if you could add fresh herbs into the mixture...

Below is the final cheese (on my new red plate)


Below is the cheese cut into cubes and cooked in a bit of oil (I finally figured out how to use Window Photo Gallery to make my pictures square!!!)

The spinach dish contained the fresh cheese, spinach, garlic, ginger, onions, a few spices and sour cream (sour cream was optional in the recipe, but of course I used it).

To serve with the dish I made chicken thighs (I never make chicken things, but decided to do something different). I coated the skinless & boneless thighs with minced garlic, ginger, tandoori powder, coriander powder and turmaric and left in the refrigerator for 3 hours. I then seared the thighs on one side, turned them over, covered and cooked for another 4 minutes. DONE!
Special thanks to Edward for the recipe, Paige for tandoori powder, and Yaneev for recommending I rub salt on my hand after burning it with oil.

1 comment:

Valeria said...

OMG, that looks so good! I love palak paneer. Really dig the red plate too.